Rest is the golden chain that ties well being and our bodies collectively.
~ Thomas Dekker
Sleep: the critical pillar of overall health is neglected by a lot of of us…. continuously tired, puffy eyes and hands keeping a cup loaded with caffeine is a frequent picture of this modern era. Rest variety all-around a person- 3rd of human lifestyle, so the shut-eye ought to be undertaking some restoration work which enhances mind and human body health and fitness.
What Is Circadian Rhythm
it is 24 -hrs organic clock which regulate our sleeping pattern alongside with other crucial functions like feeding , hormones generation and human body temperature. Commonly this rhythm rises in early morning time leads to wakefullness and alertness, with the onset of darkness it dropped down to the lowest degree and aids in sleeping.
Impact Of Sleep Deprivation On Our Health and fitness
Superior rest is as significant as taking in a wholesome diet regime. Our overall body demands excellent sleep for protecting brain health and fitness, mood stabilization and to fight towards diseases. The value of sacrificing slumber is very superior, absence of slumber and disturbed snooze sample are connected with overall health problems like being overweight, despair, increased risk of diabetic issues and hypertension. Slumber deficiency does have a unfavorable impact on work effectiveness.
- Slumber deprivation and Bodily wellness there is a expanding entire body of proof that sleep deprivation is connected with hypertension, coronary heart diseases (CHD), and diabetes mellitus(DM). Improved sympathetic nervous process exercise is regarded to serve as widespread pathophysiology in snooze deprivation’s relationships with these diseases.
- Weak rest and Obesity The bulk of experiments uncovered good affiliation concerning brief slumber (<6 hrs/night) and obesity. Sleep deprivation is associated with altered metabolic and endocrine mechanism resulting in increased appetite and late-night cravings. Moreover, insufficient sleep makes you tired and less active, over time reduced physical activity may cause weight gain and obesity.
- Poor sleep and Depression Lack of sleep or disturbed sleep pattern has a direct link with psychological issues like depression and anxiety and suicide. Sleep deprivation causes decreased production of serotonin, a mood regulator chemical produced by our brain. Reduced level of serotonin causes depression and anxiety.
- Poor sleep and work life: Short duration sleep may have a negative impact on a person’s work life. Poor sleep can impair people creative capacities and reduces motivation to learn and generate new ideas.
How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?
Although there is no perfect sleep number to fit each individual, National sleep foundation published a report updating sleep recommendation for all ages.
How To Improve Sleep Hygiene
- Food and drink Avoid eating foods that are spicy and fatty as they are tough for the stomach and may disturb sleep. Timing of meal is also an important factor for having a good sleep. Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine before going to bed.
- Day light exposure it is reported by some studies that daylight helps keep our circadian rhythm healthy.
- Regular physical activity According to National sleep foundation, people who exercise regularly have better sleep than those who do not. Some other studies suggested that exercise increases body temperature and increases production of Adenosine a chemical which causes drowsiness and improves circadian rhythm.
- Maintaining good sleeping habits Avoid day time sleep, stop using elecronic gadgets (cell phones, laptops, tv) 30 minutes before going to bed. Smartphone light distrub production of Melatonin a chemical produced by our brain, which plays a vital role in regulating sleep-wake cycles.
- Make a regular sleep cycle: Regular sleep pattern may also help in improving sleep quality and duration. Waking up and going to the bed at the same times each day improves our wakeup/sleep cycle.
- Bedroom environment Minimize noises, external light exposure. Try to make your sleeping environment quiet, relaxing and clean.
- Clear your mind before going to bed Several relaxing techniques like meditation, reading a book and relaxing massage may improve sleep quality and duration.
Sleep is the third pillar of a healthy life and good sleep is important for our physical and mental health. Everyone has occasional disturbed sleep but if you are struggling with lack of sleep for prolong period, contact your doctor for identifying and treating any underlying cause.
Happiness in simplicity can be achieved with a flexible mindset and nine hours of sleep each night.”